For a runner, not a day gets passed without running, even if they’re injured they keep on doing running workouts. Therefore, there is a remarkable elliptical workout for runners, to train their muscles till their injury is healed. Moreover, injured runners need to spend most of their time at home to get back to health. However, as an athlete, runners need to do the bare minimum and cross-train the legs for keeping specific fitness.
Regarding this, cross-training on the elliptical is perfect to keep their body muscles fit without straining the injury. Further, we will guide the runners with the perfect elliptical workout which will effectively increase the workout efficiency. Also, you will be able to balance out your specific fitness for running.
Navigate Our Table of Contents
- Is It Possible to Maintain Running Fitness through Elliptical Workout?
- Guidelines for a Runner about Elliptical – Things to Consider
- Set a Goal for 90 Revolution Per Minute
- Alter the Resistance
- Focus More on Time & Effort
- Stay Attentive in the Elliptical
- Beneficial Elliptical Workouts for Runners – Best 3 Elliptical Workouts
- 45-60 Minutes of Tempo Elliptical Running (Strength & Running Intervals)
- 45 Minutes of Elliptical Intervals
- Steady State Running Hills (Strength & Running Intervals)
- Benefits of Elliptical Workout for Injured Runners:
- Should You Use The Static Hand Bars on Elliptical Trainer while Running?
- When Should You Avoid Elliptical Running?
- Final Words
Is It Possible to Maintain Running Fitness through Elliptical Workout?
As a promising runner, you will be questioning whether the elliptical workout will maintain my fitness for running? Well, let’s give you a convincing scientific explanation “ Objective Happenings Always Defeats The Subjective Experience.”
Surely, for a runner who is quite used to running free in a large practice field, elliptical running will be very different. Thereby, running in an elliptical will get you feeling not enough, like your outside running practice.
Since, as a marathon runner, you most desire for your feet pounding on the earth, and a heavy breeze of wind on your whole body. It is very much psychological for you to think that the elliptical workout is not equivalent to your usual running exercise. However, you will be surprised to know about what the ”Strength and Conditioning” expert’s researches say about this fact.
- With the equal discerning speed of running the practice, the oxygen observing/ consumption rate was almost similar in the elliptical trainer running. That was considered the same as treadmill running.
Also, what the “Moderate Levels of Fitness” noticed is notable as well.
- In contrast to the same training intensity and running volume, the improvement and the healing rate is equivalent to the elliptical training. This research made the elliptical as competent as the treadmill. (This was resulted in precisely the same for over 12 weeks of practice).
Due to habitual facts or psychological reasons, the elliptical running will feel the same, also there are some boundaries. But, since you’re injured enough for a period of probation, then elliptical is the only resolve. Well, you don’t need to trouble about wasting your time on elliptical workouts. As you will effectively be successful in keeping balance in your precise running fitness, and you will not lose it.
Moreover, for an elliptical workout, you simply earn what you provide to it. In case you spend only 20 minutes sloppily slowly running idly, you will not gain any results from it. Further, you will need to put some effort to get to the proper rhythm. To be precise, you need to be as particular as you’re in your actual field training, enhance the resistance, get to the proper cadence, and workout diligently! Afterward, you will avail of an efficient workout equal to running for cross-training.
Guidelines for a Runner about Elliptical – Things to Consider
There are some significant orders and rules for the cross-training exercise. Thereby, as the elliptical workout will be the substitute for cross-training, you’ll need to follow up the supreme rules.
Set a Goal for 90 Revolution Per Minute
This will specify the running speed along with the rhythmic cadence rate. For a runner, the cadence rate should be 180 cadences. That means you will need to take 180 steps on the elliptical in a minute (which also means you’ll need to run 90 times per foot) Well, it will require some patience, practice, and time to gain the perfect cadence rate while doing the elliptical running. You might as well struggle more due to the psychological awkwardness, but be patient and you’ll get over it. Also, it will be challenging for your sporting spirit. So, overcoming it will help you enhance your potentiality.
Alter the Resistance
Precisely, you don’t want to slog on the elliptical for an hour at the 0 resistance. However, you also won’t like to end up in heavy breath by spending the whole time at the maximum resistance. Regarding the rule of supreme specificity, you must aim for varied resistance, like outside running. According to the type of practice, you’re planning it complete set up resistance. For example, run 20 minutes while maintaining 90 RPM (Revolutions per minute). Then for an interval again keep up with 90 RPM and do tempo runs, then do statics hill runs, then again interval, and so on.
Focus More on Time & Effort
Indeed, you will not gain a similar pace like the road running on the elliptical, not that you must achieve it. Also, the mechanics of running on the elliptical means you are getting the assistance of your elliptical.
Therefore, you can focus more on the time and effort instead you do it for distance or pace. More like don’t bother running 10 miles with 8- 9 mile pace. However, rather try to aim for 60 to 90 minutes of easy running while maintaining 90 RPM as well. Further, since you an athlete so need to maintain both marathon specification, and healing your injury. So, it will wise to go for the short interval exercise.
Stay Attentive in the Elliptical
It can be very distracting for you that you’re not running on the actual road or field. Also, the state you are in makes you feel you are confined in the tiny machine for marathon running.
However, you still need to stay tuned, focus on maintaining RPM than zoning out. As the zoning out will only hamper your workout which wastes a lot of time. So, you better try to
give equal efforts, focus, and patience! Moreover, you can try out the virtual simulation feature that comes with some elliptical for you to stay calm, and focused while exercising.
Beneficial Elliptical Workouts for Runners – Best 3 Elliptical Workouts
We will provide you top 3 elliptical workouts for runners, so you can try the best-suited one for you. Try out the exercises to keep your running fitness intact. Also, this method will reduce your depression and boredom while you’re on the elliptical. Further while working out, you should be careful enough to follow the principles of Hard to Easy. That means if your workout hard today, then workout simple and easy tomorrow.
45-60 Minutes of Tempo Elliptical Running (Strength & Running Intervals)
- Simple Effort with low resistance (1 to 4 resistance range) for 10 to 20 minutes.
- The comfortable yet basic (hard but not hardcore) effort, with average resistance (5 to 10 resistance range) for 20 to 30 minutes. Also, try to aim for maintaining a similar RPM as much as you can.
- Easy movement with low resistance (1 to 4 resistance range) for 10 to 20 minutes.
45 Minutes of Elliptical Intervals
- The low effort with easy resistance (1 to 4 resistance range) for at least 10 minutes.
- The high effort with maximum resistance (10 to 15 resistance range) for 2 minutes, and hard effort with low resistance (1 to 4 resistance range) for 2 minutes. – Do 6 to 8 sets of this interval exercise.
- The low effort with moderate resistance (3 to 7 resistance range) for 10 – 15 minutes.
Steady State Running Hills (Strength & Running Intervals)
- The moderate effort with medium resistance (3 to 10 resistance range) for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Also, change it to low effort with simple resistance (1-4 resistance range) after every 2-3 minutes.
Benefits of Elliptical Workout for Injured Runners:
Elliptical exercise is without a doubt a straight forward for running workouts. Thereby, with just a few tips, and tricks, you’ll be able to receive the most out of it regarding the time you’ll spend on it.
- Helps to manage the proper fitness, while one is injured.
- Enhances the workout period, without gaining any strains or extra impact on injury.
- Reduces your stress, and boredom that you got from injury.
- Provides similar results as a treadmill, for ensuring accurate fitness gains.
- You will not require additional gadgets or gears like you usually need for other types of exercise.
Should You Use The Static Hand Bars on Elliptical Trainer while Running?
If you are thinking about using static hand bars to balance yourself then do not. Well, the bars will help you stabilize yourself but it will also reduce the efficiency of your workout.
Therefore, about the moving bars of the elliptical! Well, you can use it to increase your pace. But, you must not rest your weight in the bars, hold them lightly as you’re dashing your legs steadily. After a bit of time, you will not require moving bars either, just don’t get stiff. Further, move your arms and body freely then swings front and back, while running fast. Moreover, keep on straight back, and upright core position all the time.
When Should You Avoid Elliptical Running?
In case you’re facing any of the issues from below, then you need to take a break from the elliptical. Also, let your muscles rest awhile, which will also help the injured muscles with the healing.
- If your injury is Stress-fracture, then you must go with the easy non-impact types of cross-training. For example, you can do water running and swimming with less strain.
- In case your injury is IT Band Syndrome, and Severe Achilles Tendonitis (tear in the tendon) you should avoid elliptical or motion exercises. As the elliptical or motion-workout can cause aggravating strains on the injury.
- To simply say, if you’re hurting stop any kind of workout for the time being.
If you’re a marathon or sprint runner suffering from a leg injury from competition or excess training, then try out the elliptical workout for runners. Since you are restricted from training outside, but you still need to keep your fitness in check, this is a perfect resolve.
Additionally, we also provided 3 types of best elliptical workouts for running which will suit with condition and terms. Further, follow our wholesome guidelines that have everything you need to know as an injured runner. So, best of luck with your injury, do your best till you heal well, and make it to the international tournament’s finals.